By Gary Burns
- Includes over dozen essays masking the spectrum of pop culture experiences from foodstuff to folklore and from television to technology
- Features contributions from proven and up-and-coming students from quite a number disciplines
- Offers an in depth background of the research of renowned culture
- Balances new views at the politics of tradition with in-depth research of themes on the leading edge of pop culture studies
Read Online or Download A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) PDF
Best popular culture books
Takayuki Tatsumi is considered one of Japan’s major cultural critics, well known for his paintings on American literature and tradition. together with his encyclopedic wisdom and fan’s love of either jap and American artwork and literature, he's maybe uniquely good positioned to provide this examine of the dynamic crosscurrents among the avant-gardes and dad cultures of Japan and the USA.
"Great to have a brand new version - this is often crucial interpreting and offers a transparent, available but unique assessment of social thought and the physique. "- Sarah Nettleton, college of York"Lucidly argued and accessibly written, this booklet avoids the pitfalls of both an excessive amount of naturalism or an excessive amount of social constructivism.
Masking issues starting from the institution of the Gulf Coast shrimping in 1800s to the Korean taco truck craze as we speak, this publication explores the frequent contributions of Asian americans to U. S. nutrition tradition. • Describes chinese language American, jap American, Korean American, Filipino American, and Vietnamese American nutrition cultures• Introduces a few of the significant contributions Asian american citizens have made to the yankee culinary panorama via a historic evaluation of Asian immigration to the USA and an exam of the increase of Asian-owned eating places, markets, groceries, and packaged foodstuff businesses• info the cooking suggestions, parts, dishes, and types of eating that Asian american citizens have brought to the USA• provides a chronology, source advisor, chosen bibliography, and illustrations to enrich the textual content
Type Acts explores the improvement of way of life advertising from the Nineteen Sixties to the Nineties. in this time, younger males all started manipulating their identities by way of taking up the mannerisms, tradition, and model of the operating category and negative. those kind offerings had contradictory meanings. without delay they have been acts of uprising via middleclass younger males opposed to their social stratum and its principles of masculinity and in addition examples of the privilege that allowed them to aim on various identities for entertainment or as a ceremony of passage.
- La culture des sentiments: L'expérience télévisuelle des adolescents (Ethnologie de la France) (French Edition)
- First of the Year: 2008: Volume I
- Fashion Talks: Undressing the Power of Style
- Garrison Keillor: A Critical Companion (Critical Companions to Popular Contemporary Writers)
- American Nightmares: The Haunted House Formula in American Popular Fiction
- Legends of Disco: Forty Stars Discuss Their Careers
Additional info for A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies)
A Companion to Popular Culture (Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies) by Gary Burns